Thursday, May 17, 2012

Asking

Clayton Christensen (renound author of Harvard several business books) has written a book called "How Will You Measure Your Life?".  

Article Image

 

I haven't read the book, though hope to in the future.  I was recently skimming an interview he did about the book: http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/arabic/article.cfm?articleid=2825.

I like the following snippet about how God delivers answers conditionally upon our asking:

Just by analogy I have an image in my brain that up in heaven God has built these warehouses. On one of the shelves are packages with truth and the other are packages of answers, and he just doesn't at will pick up answers and packets of truth and just throws them down at someone. What he does is he waits until I ask a question and then he'll send down an answer because people will learn when they're ready to learn, not when you're ready to teach them.

Something that has concerned me lately is I don't ask God many questions.  But I'll save that topic for another day.

I think the idea of "ask and ye shall receive", and its corollary "don't ask and don't receive" also, in many respects, applies to our relationships with others.  Many people have things they'd like to share, but won't unless asked.  Yes, I guess I'm talking about silly things like "what's your favorite color", but also more important things like, "How are you doing?  Good, you say?  That's what everybody says.  How are you *really* doing?"

Said another way, we are to share one another's burdens.  It works best when we offer to lift others rather than wait for them to cry for help (which may never happen).

2 comments:

Brynn said...

Love this, I am adding it to my summer reading list! ♥

Miss said...

Greg, I'm so glad you *get* this...offering to help vs waiting to hear a cry. Too many of us wait to be called on, sometimes purposefully, so we don't "intrude/take over" or feel awkward or feel like we're in someone else's business. Thank goodness for Home and Visiting teaching to break us out of that and help us to become more aware of others' needs. I really think it comes down to being aware. Heavenly Father is always aware of us, everything about us, so yes, He will wait till we are aware of Him to ask for help. As people, we are constantly battling to be aware of others--not ourselves--hense, why we convenant to share one another's burdens. We then learn to become aware--like Him. Jess is lucky to have someone who is aware like you! ;)

pin it